Wednesday, August 24, 2011

How You Can Help

A few people have written me and want to know how they can help. There are several ways you can help me out. I've just begun the transplant process so there are a lot of unknowns. Here's what I know you can do to help:


  • Become an organ donor. This is something anyone can do. It's easy and simple and it could save a life, or even multiple lives! I'm even an organ donor! (You probably wouldn't want my kidney though) Make sure your family knows because if they ever have to make that decision for you, there will be no question to what your wishes are.

  • Get tested. I have asked healthy family members if they would get tested but I haven't heard back from them yet. If I can't get a living donor, I will have to go on dialysis and be put on the dreaded list. The wait could take anywhere from 2 to 5 years before I would get a kidney. A living donor is preferred. There's a much greater chance that the kidney won't reject. You are under no obligation to do anything at the point you get tested but at least you will have all the information. If you would like to get tested please write to me and I can give you all the information you need.

  • Donate to help my cause. The typical kidney transplant costs about $90,000 for the first year. After the first year the costs drop to about $16,000 for the anti-rejection drugs and treatments. This may seem like a lot of money but this is a lot less expensive than dialysis treatments. Dialysis treatments cost tax payers $44,000 per year, per patient. So as you can see, the cost of a transplant is much less expensive. Also, someone with a successful kidney transplant is able to work and contribute to society again. There are some dialysis patients that work but it's very difficult. I'm not trying to get rich. I don't expect to get $90,000 in donations. I would be happy with a few dollars. I'm grateful to anyone that can contribute to me and 100% of any donations will go to helping with my medical costs. I'm applying for assistance but so far I've been denied from Social Security three times. I finally won earlier this month but it could be several more months before I see a dime from them. For the past 10 months my wife has worked two jobs just to keep our heads above water. But we are still broke, sometimes so broke I can't afford my co-pays for my medicine. I don't want to end up homeless again so sometimes it really comes down to paying the rent or buying my medication. As far as SSI goes, that is just how the process works. I don't even get food stamps. Anything helps. You can donate to me by clicking on this button:










If you don't feel comfortable donating to a complete stranger you can support the National Kidney Foundation and make a donation in my name, Shawn Thomas. Here's their link: http://www.kidney.org/support/donate.cfm



  • You can send a card or letter. Even if you don't have any money to spare I understand. Times are tough these days for everyone. You can send me a card. I am working on getting a P.O. Box set up. I am more than happy to accept cards or letters filled with words of encouragement :)




  • Whatever you choose to do, I appreciate the help!

    1 comment:

    1. I just want to say that this is an extraordinary blog. One of the best I've seen. To me, it's like a beacon of light. I'm in some pretty bad straights at the moment but this makes me feel like there's hope. Thank you.

      ReplyDelete