Tuesday, August 18, 2009

That's The Ticket!


My situation is dire. I know I have to rely on the kindness of strangers to get by, at least until I can get some type of aid through the government. I don't have any income and no medical insurance. The only thing I get right now is food stamps. This past 2 months I have had to hold a sign on a street corner and ask for help. It's something I have never done in my life. It's very embarrassing and it humbles me. If anyone thinks standing there holding a sign is easy or just for lazy people they would be wrong. Standing in one spot in the hot summer sun is not easy at all. It's also not easy getting the looks you get and the occasional "Get a job!" line. I can deal with the stares. It's funny, after doing this a few times you just kind of become numb to it. It rarely affects me anymore. The heat on the other hand is tough, especially for me. I have to keep my self well-hydrated and not stand out there too long.


Another effect of holding a sign is the police constantly harasses me. I have no idea what I'm doing is illegal or not but on several occasions I have been detained and searched but let go without so much as a ticket. On one occasion I was detained for well over an hour by the Lake Hills Sheriffs (Orange County Sheriff Dept) in the hot sun in the middle of the afternoon. The temperature was well above 90 and the officer made me sit on the curb with my legs crossed. After a few minutes I realized that I was sitting next to an ant hill as I had ants crawling up and down my back and down my pants. I informed the officer several times that I was having trouble sitting still because of the ants and that they were biting me. He completely ignored my requests that I be moved. He berated me over and over again saying I had a low-self esteem and that I just needed to get a job or hit the road. He said Orange County residents don't like panhandlers because they have money. When I told him about my medical condition he called me a whiner. After at least an hour an a half the officer let me go again without a citation. I called his Sergeant and explained what happened and asked him to view the dash-cam of the patrol car and all the Sergeant kept saying was that I shouldn't be panhandling and the officer was conducting a "criminal investigation" so he had a right to detain me like that.


Let's be perfectly clear, I was not hurting anyone. I was not stealing. I was simply holding a sign. If people choose to help me then that's their decision. If they chose to scowl at me or just drive by that's their choice as well. Some people will help and some won't and that's ok because nobody owes me anything. I just hope that karma comes back to me because when I was doing well I would give to panhandlers when I could. Even if people don't give anything this has taught me a valuable lesson; people do care. There are good people with huge hearts left in this world. Even when someone just flashes me a smile it makes me feel good. I'm not hurting anyone, maybe I'm even making a few people feel good about themselves. When I get to a point I can give back I plan on paying this forward by at least donating my time and helping out with homeless causes.


Ok, I know what you are thinking, there are the people that spend that money on drugs or alcohol. To be completely honest you are correct. Most of the panhandlers I have met have serious addictions and some of them are not even homeless to begin with. This is ironic but after what I've seen I will think twice before I give my money to someone holding a sign in the future. Let me just give you a quick snapshot of what I am talking about. Two guys I know hold signs even though they are not homeless. They stay in a hotel, do drugs, and collect SSI. The worst part is one guy puts a fake cast on his arm and the other guy stands on the freeway offramp with a cane yet he walks perfectly fine after he's done and walks away. Another guy I know holds a sign saying he's an Iraq Vetran which he is not, he's never even been in the military. He spends his money on beer, weed, and gambling. I mean he blows it. Give if you want to but don't be naive where your money is going. I'm just being blunt and telling it like it is. Panhandlers don't want you to know the truth.


What do I do with the money people give me? I have a 24 Hour Fitness membership that I pay on so I can stay clean. It's one reason I don't look homeless. I have a cell phone bill. Yes, a homeless man with a cellphone is ironic as well but I need it for emergencies and so I can continue to look for a job. Sometimes I rent a motel room for a night or two. Don't worry, I'm not staying at the Westin or the Holiday Inn. I try to find cheap rooms that are $40 or less a night. Yes, $40 a night is cheap in Orange County. I have bought clothes that I have needed as well. But I can't drink anymore and drugs would kill me real quick. Not really into hookers either, Hahaha!


Can someone get rich off panhandling? I'm not too sure about that. I have had days where I made $160 in 5 or 6 hours but I also have the days where I don't make one single dollar for over an hour. I think there are so many variables to when and why people give and who gives to who that there really is no average. Is it better to be clean looking or really down and out? I'm not sure. It would be interesting if someone did a survey or a study looking into this. But nobody grows up dreaming of becoming a panhandler one day. I know I don't want to be doing this for much longer. My new sign says I'm looking for work and even has my phone number on it and someone offered me their card today so I have a solid lead. I would much rather be working than holding a sign. I got a ticket today for panhandling so I think I will have to figure out another way to come up with some money. Standing there holding a sign is too risky. I'm a sitting duck for the police to harrass me.

The corner where I panhandle in Lake Forest, CA



One last note on the panhandling thing. People will give all sorts of things besides money. People will hand me a big bag of food and other toiletries. I try to never throw food away, even if it's tough to carry. I've had people drive by and offer me beer and cigarettes or even cookies laced with marijuana. I think people have the best intentions but in the end cold, hard, cash is best. People will have to decide for themselves what they can or are willing to give. Like I said, nobody owes me anything so I'll take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment