Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Running On Empty

Today was a really rough day. I took my chances last night and returned to my usual spot but maybe got 6 hours of sleep tops. Monday morning someone walked by me and found me sleeping in the hallway at 6:30am. That was unusual because nobody normally starts going into the offices until 7am. I've been caught before when I overslept but I am almost always out of there by 6:30ish. I was worried about going back since I got caught Monday but last night I set my alarm for 5:20am just to make sure I was up and gone long before anyone started showing up.

I had to go to my storage unit and get my gear so I could take a shower today. I stopped off at Denny's and had my weekly Grand Slam and then went to my storage. A couple of months ago Denny's announced through the newspaper that they were giving away a years worth of Grand Slams to the first 100 people at the grand opening of their new restaurant. I camped out with a couple of friends from the beach because why not? We were already homeless and now we had a free place to crash and we would win the Grand Slams. So I was 3rd in line (over 100 people showed up) and got my coupons for a free Grand Slam once a week for a year. That's right, 52 free Grand Slams. The only catch is each coupon has a certain week on it so it's a use 'em or lose 'em kind of deal.

So this morning I ate my breakfast but really didn't feel right at all. I had almost no energy to do anything. I can't remember being this lethargic unless I was really sick with the flu. But I don't have the flu. I went to 24 Hour Fitness and took a shower and felt a little better for about 20 minutes and then I was sapped of all my energy again. My kidney isn't doing well, this I know. One side effect of this is that I have become anemic. Your kidneys help produce red blood cells, when your kidneys start failing you also fail to produce the proper amount of red blood cells. The doctor told me my body should compensate for this but I was wondering today if the anemia is taking its toll on me. Another thought was the big breakfast I had made me lethargic. Or maybe because I didn't sleep well at all the other night. Whatever it was, it kicked my ass today. I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even concentrate.

Finally about 5pm I started to feel a little better. I'm still not 100% but I have way more energy that I did earlier. I ended up buying some candy from a candy store in Laguna so maybe the sugar helped. I don't know but I haven't crashed yet so I'm just happy to be feeling better.

I didn't have the guts to go and try to fly a sign again today but on my way back from Denny's I found my sign that the cops confiscated from me yesterday. They just threw my sign on the sidewalk and left it there. Fucking asshole pigs. Anyways, I'm trying to figure out a way to make some money but because of my energy level I really couldn't even think straight today. I gathered up all my loose change at my storage unit and took it to the Coinstar at the grocery store so I could turn the change into cash. I ended up with $35 in cash. This money isn't going to last long so I really need to think fast how I'm going to hustle some more money.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just stumbled onto this blog and am wondering if you're still out there and checking it? I actually have kidney disease and deal with anemia (I'm not homeless, thankfully) as well so I think it's pretty weird I wound up here. Anyway, thank you for sharing your story and such for a few days. I'll try to keep checking this page for awhile in case you post a comment back. Best wishes. Hope it's a good sign that you haven't posted in so long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking in. I'm still kickin'. My kidney situation has gotten worse. It's cool you found my blog. I have met all kinds of people recently with kidney disease. It helps to know we are not alone. I hope you'll stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete